How to find us
The Faculty is housed in the Raised Faculty Building in Sidgwick Avenue, Cambridge, CB3 9DA. The Sidgwick Site is about 10 minutes' walk away from the centre of Cambridge.
- The Sidgwick Site and the Raised Faculty Building
- Sidgwick Avenue and the surrounding streets
- The University
The most direct way to the Sidgwick site for visitors coming from outside the city is from Junction 12 of the M11:
- Take the A603 Barton Road for a mile or so into the city [Map]
- Follow the road sharp left into Newnham Road, and go straight on at the roundabout. Continue past a garage and a few shops, follow the road left, then turn left at the traffic lights into Sidgwick Avenue.[Map]
- The entrance to the Sidgwick Site, and the Raised Faculty Building, is a few hundred yards on your right. [Map]
Please note that parking at the Sidgwick site is severely restricted, even for University staff. Unless you can arrange a permit in advance of your visit, you should use the (few available) metered bays on Sidgwick Avenue, the city centre car parks, or the Park & Ride facility.
Buses and Park & Ride
The Citi 4 bus service travels between the Madingley Road Park and Ride and Addenbrookes Hospital via several University sites and the city centre: alight at Grange Road for access to the Sidgwick Site.
Cambridge has an extensive Park & Ride scheme, which operates from a number of useful sites around the city, and is recommended.
If you need to book a taxi, you can use a local taxi firm; ask for the Faculty of Philosophy in Sidgwick Avenue.
Cambridge station is a mile or so outside the city centre. There is a fast and frequent service from London King's Cross; connections from the north are usually made via Peterborough and Ely or Stevenage.
- Taxis are available in front of the station (immediately to your right as you leave the station buildings); ask for the Faculty of Philosophy in Sidgwick Avenue.
- A bus service will take you to Emmanuel Street in the centre of town, from where you can walk via Downing Street and Silver Street (it takes 20 minutes or more; use the maps above, or the directions in the Coach section below).
- The Citi 4 bus service operates from Brooklands Avenue, 5-10 minutes walk from the station: travel in the direction of Madingley, and alight at Grange Road.
Coach services arrive at Parkside in the City Centre.
- Taxis are available from Drummer Street just a short walk from Parkside; ask for the Faculty of Philosophy in Sidgwick Avenue.
- You can walk (the trip takes 15 minutes or more):
- Walk along Emmanuel Street; turn left into St Andrew's Street, then right into Downing Street. Keep going straight on along Pembroke Street; turn right onto Trumpington Street, then quickly left onto Silver Street. [Map]
- Follow Silver Street over the river and down to the traffic lights; go straight over at the lights onto Sidgwick Avenue. The entrance to the Sidgwick Site, and the Raised Faculty Building, is a few hundred yards on your right. [Map]
The nearest international airport is London Stansted, with the other London airports, Heathrow, Luton and Gatwick all in easy reach.
There are regular coach services between the airports and Cambridge which operate from Parkside in the city centre.
Rail services come direct to Cambridge from Stansted, Birmingham and Manchester. Rail connections from central London are good: From Heathrow take the tube (Piccadilly Line) to King's Cross, and from Gatwick either get a train straight to King's Cross Thameslink, or go to Victoria and then on to King's Cross via the tube (Victoria Line).
you can also travel by rail to Cambridge from Birmingham and Manchester airports.
For more details about travelling to Cambridge, including phone numbers and web sites, see the University's Local Area Information.